Monday, April 11, 2011

One cool weekend

We finally got rain and cooler temperatures on Saturday, but the storm that was forecasted stayed north of us. We got the drizzle, though, and the accompanying overcast skies.

I had walked the dogs early Saturday morning to avoid getting a rain-out. That never came. Although dark clouds lingered over the mountains, the downpour never came in the valley. So in the afternoon I took the dogs to Hunter Canyon for another quick romp. It was cold and breezy but apparently this is the kind of weather that attracts illegal bordercrossers because there were two USBP vans behind me as I turned into the canyon. There were no other people near me, though and the dogs enjoyed their walk.

The mountains here looked beautiful when contrasted against the brown, dry brush below. I enjoyed the photography as a result. The sun would poke from behind the cloud cover and provide for more contrast. A rainbow even formed in the eastern horizon.
Today we woke up to much colder temperatures and a beautiful blue sky patched with puffy white clouds. Our weather was colder than that for Chicago or Boston today, yet I relished this cooler dampness. We've staved off wildfires at least for a few days this way.

Today I took the dogs up to Reef Townsite where a small dusting of snow kept them refreshed. The drive to this place can take longer than the two-mile loop around the high plateau and for a while I was behind a full-sized truck that didn't seem to want to go faster than 5mph.

It was cold at 6000' and my winter jacket came in handy. Other people were also en route but were heading for higher elevation. I didn't have time to hike to Carr Peak. I just wanted something fun for the dogs where people wouldn't be a problem. They seemed to enjoy the trail I was on, an abandoned campground near old mines that provide vistas in all directions. I never see anyone on this old road, 5973.

No comments:

Post a Comment