Monday, April 4, 2011

Carr Peak


Carr Peak is my one stable hike. It's nearby, allows for high elevation climbing, and is relatively short for someone in condition. It can be done in under three hours. On a clear day the summit also offers panoramic vista that travel far in all directions.

Sunday, despite a Red Flag warning, I ventured up with Sadie. The warning didn't start till 11am but I could feel the oncoming gusts. I had been yearning for a peak bag again. I hadn't had much of a work-out since my January ascent up Miller Peak, most of that my own fault as I saddle myself down with homework. I took Sadie, grabbed some snacks and water, and off we were by 8:30am, arriving at the upper trailhead at 9:01am as the day's first visitors. Sadie was excited to be on the trail again.

Spring is a little behind this year due to little rainfall. I saw few new growth, several butterflies, but no wildflowers of any kind. The trees still looked like they were in the pre-bud growth phase. The FS had cut away two feet off either side of the trail of bramble near the aspen groves, but the aspens are still very barren. This made this hike rather dull, but the May hike should be full of lush green.

That's if we get any rain. Our forests are hurting!

And unlike last year's hike, there was just one small snow mound that Sadie used for water. Water trickled in the seasonal waterfall. The severe drought continues to leave its mark on the dry leaves and parched branches of every shrub, tree and grassblade.

We arrived at the summit at 10:20am to high winds. We ducked down, enjoyed our snacks and water. We could see the 8-acre burn spot from yesterday's brushfire south of town. Going back down I had to hold on to my cap because of the wind, although the heavy gusts seem to be more higher up. Once I got back to the truck we were back to calmness.
We descended at 10:35, arriving back at the truck at 11:40, making this hike only ten minutes slower than my fastest ascent last September. I thought I would be slower than that, as I stopped briefly a few times to catch my breath and to allow Sadie to drink. We didn't see anyone until we were close to the parking lot, a young couple in summer shorts.

I wore shorts, too, but my orange wind breaker never came off. It was rather crisp near the top. Sadie enjoyed the exercise. She's turning into a dog who hates leashes, and refuses to go on my neighborhood walks with the other dogs. This is her one reprieve, and she's such a wonderful, fit, spunky dog to have along.

I'll be doing Carr Peak more often as my backpacking trip to California nears. I'll also be hitting even steeper trails in Tucson as the date approaches.

The wind in the valley got stronger as the day progressed, swaying our palm tree in all directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment