Sunday, October 17, 2010

Bear Creek going south
















I took the morning and mid afternoon off from my English midterm to hike with Kevin down Bear Creek. This is a pretty time to do so with migrating raptors and other wildlife.

The drive there via Forest Road 61 started out eventful: a few miles from our destination and we were stopped by at least six USBP vehicles, a sheriff's SUV and a large tow truck. I figured we had come across a large group of illegals that had driven their car down the embankment. That was not the case. A young woman had driven her black Jeep down the embankment at 5am when she tried to get around a USBP truck that was dragging tires behind it. We were only stopped for about ten minutes, but that was enough to get all three dogs restless.

I enjoy this walk down Bear Creek. There was plenty of water in the creek, more than last year. For three miles one can walk the dogs without worrying about them becoming dehydrated. There's plenty of shade as well.The only people we encounter here are illegals following the creekbed.

The creekbed looked like it had seen some serious flooding during the monsoon. Part of the illegal trail had been washed away. Plenty of grass had grown and now gone to seed. It was that seed that got stuck to my socks and fell inside my shoes that felt like porcupine quills pressing against my skin.

We saw little wildlife except cows and a few disgruntled bluejays.I didn't mind so much as just being here is refreshing. Few trees were even showing signs of autumn.

TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment