Thursday, August 20, 2009

The bug

I caught some kind of bug while on the flight back from Baltimore. I arrived that night feeling a sore throat coming but didn't think anything of it, but now, two days later, I still have a runny nose, a cough and a headache I treat with two aspirins twice a day.

This means that I have been in a sleepy mode since coming back, resting at home with three canines surrounding me. I can still keep up with the classroom assignments but I nap inbetween.

I hate being under the weather in any way. Sadie looks at me with her desperate plea for a walk and the two older dogs surely feel the same way. Hopefully by this weekend I can make it up to the dogs and get them up in the foothills. I hope to be recovered from this nuisance by then as well.

My US History class started last night, taught by a passionate Bisbeeite who for 2:20 hours gave examples of why the Native Americans were not Savages as the Europeans labeled them. He didn't lecture chronologically, but by the time he got to 1607 (landing of the Mayflower) and 1619 (first landing in the colonies of a slave ship) he had us all convinced that Native Americans were not savages. I knew that anyway, which is why they fascinate me.

He talked about Yellowstone, the Wild Bill Cody museum, Chaco Canyon, Cayon de Chelly and other sites that I saw along my roadtrip. He mentioned Lewis and Clark. Cortez and Coronado flew off his lips. All those visuals I had from this past summer came back to my memory. History and Travel go so well together, but so do photography and good writing skills.

So here I sit, having eaten Kevin's left over donut and contemplating making a hot cup of tea with honey to sooth my throat and head. I've got reading to do for this history class. It's going to be one busy schedule again even with just four classes, three of which are writing intensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment