Sunday, September 27, 2026

Full moon hikes

 The official full moon was yesterday.  I took Zana with me for a short hike up Bisbee's shrines, a short hike under three miles. I miscalculated the time of the moon rise and descended ten minutes before the moon finally rose. We stayed in town for dinner and walked a little in Old Bisbee for added mileage.

Today I made sure I had the correct time (6:38pm) and took Zana and Gretel.  This time we did Juniper Flats by the second radio towers.  This was a shorter hike of 1.5 miles.  

The road to the towers is badly rutted in the last 0.4 miles.  I parked the Honda in a turnoff and walked the rest.  There was heavy cloud cover and was hoping the clouds would create some color at the 6:09pm sunset.  They did, but it wasn't a full sky burst of warm hues of yellow, orange and reds.


Normally Juniper Hill is a great spot to view both sunset and moonrise, but I didn't want to risk meeting a snake.  The grass was too overgrown to watch one's footing.  Grass covers the rocky slope.  I just stayed on the faded jeep trail.  


The dogs got a little impatient with waiting around for the moon to rise.  Again, cloud cover quickly made the rising moon slink back behind clouds.  It took another 20 minutes for the moon to make its full appearance and we were back in the car by then.


It was very dark up on the hill. It didn't bother the dogs but it made me a little nervous.  A group of campers pulled in a few 100 feet from me to set up camp.  The dogs ran over to the guys and they thought there were getting attacked by coyotes!  The man I spoke to, Daniel, said that this is the first time the camping group has ever encountered other people.  I can say the same. 


Tomorrow night we are expecting overnight rains from Tropical storm Polo.  I hope it's a good rain!


No comments:

Post a Comment