Thursday, August 13, 2026
The monsoonf continues
Heavy rains were forecasted for several hours in the afternoon. Rain clouds shrouded the mountains at sunrise. I took advantage of the late morning when there were a few dry hours and took Hansel and Fritz to the Lehner kill site area to walk the loop. This is mostly a level walk around grassland next to the river.
The boys had a short fight in the backyard just before we left. Hansel tried to continue the disagreement so I made sure to walk both dogs hard. I'm getting tired of the cuts and tears the dogs give each other. They fight over food and alphadom.
The rains are making the grasses and weeds grow tall. Some are already three feet tall. This makes looking at the ground at times difficult. Gone are the fields of sunflowers that would grow here before that April 2021 fire.
I walked on the birding trail briefly to let the dogs to the water. It was flowing swiftly again after yesterday's rain. Both dog dip into the water and stay along the banks, avoiding the muddy current.r
I continued south on the official trail to the old Case de San Pedro. The trail past the parking lot was heavily saturated and was thus not mowed, but I continued on, making a loop around the field and then returning to the Honda. It was an easy three miles. The rain has brought out the butterflies.
i
Hereford bridge is again closed due to flooding. I walked on it with the dogs on my way home. Right now the river is easily four times its normal width here.
The rest of the day was uneventful. Rain returned mid afternoon, the dogs stayed inside, and I enjoyed watching the doves feed off seed I placed in a bowl near the front window. I wonder how many of the doves are young birds from this year's clutches? They look small and several have white edges along their wings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment