Sunday, December 11, 2022

Our first big storm for the season

 Weather Alert Details

Upper San Pedro River Valley including Sierra Vista/Benson

Winter Weather Advisory from MON 5:00 AM MST until TUE 5:00 AM MST Issued December, 11 2022 at 2:00 AM - US/Mountain expires December, 13 2022 at 5:00 AM - US/Mountain ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY ABOVE 4000 FEET IN EFFECT FROM 5 AM MONDAY TO 5 AM MST TUESDAY... * WHAT...Periods of rain and snow expected. Total snow accumulations of up to three inches in valleys above 4000 feet, with higher amounts in the mountains. * WHERE...Southeast Arizona above 4000 feet. * WHEN...From 5 AM Monday to 5 AM MST Tuesday. * IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... Slow down and use caution while traveling. The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can be obtained by calling 5 1 1. &&

Today would be the last mild day of the year and I didn't go out for a long hike up Carr Peak.  I just wanted to relax, work on fixing the hose that Wolfie damaged while tied up on Friday, and walk the dogs down by the river.
The big storm was ravaging the Pacific Northwest and California with heavy snow and blizzard conditions.  We had the warm and mild front today, with a breezeless but cloudy sky.  Instead of hiking up Carr Peak, I took the front yard dogs (Gretel, Gretchen, Wolfie and Sweetie) down to the Palominas trailhead to the SP river.  I knew I could only do a few miles with Sweetie.
I let the dogs romp in the river by the SR92 bridge, then walked south along the river, then cut across the grassland back to the official trail. Wolfie somehow got distracted and never followed us, despite my calling his name.  After the big loop, I dropped off the dogs in the truck and went back to the river with Gretchen (because those two are good buddies).
Sure enough, there was Wolfie just north of the bridge.  He came back to me drenched.  Had he gone back to the river, back to the bridge and waited for us there?  I'm glad I didn't wait for him by the truck!  He's normally good at recall and stays nearby, so today's distraction is not typical.  
I'm glad he was safely found as I'd hate to know he was lost in an impeding storm forecasted to cause havoc across the country as it moves east.
Winds started to pick up after 8pm 

No comments:

Post a Comment