Sunday, January 16, 2022

Palominas Multiuse trail loop (1.7 miles) hi no


Distance: 2.89m
Elevation  4270'  - 4300:
Significance: level loop through high desert grass. Ideal for sun rise and sun set.

I discovered the existence of this trail last year.it officially opened last spring, Today I finally decided to explore it just to get away from the cramped RV where I spend a lot of time with Gretchen and Sweetie, my two preferred dogs inside the RV.. 

Sweetie is still grieving over Kevin. Sweetie misses her dad and I still hear her whimper for him as she lays on his old clothes that I kept for her to sleep on. I will take care of her through her last days. She's ten years old now and has mellowed a bit, but she still gets annoyed at the pups. Gretchen seems to be one pup she gets along with.

There isn't much to this loop. It's ten feet wide and built for equestrians. It is totally exposed with no restroom or water available. It loops around the Palominas recharge project, which captures storm water to help prevent the San Pedro river from flooding. I'm sure it's much more scenic in the summer after heavy rains.

There are two access points. The one for horses is on Palominas Road. I started on SR92 for non-equestrians, to the west of the Palominas school district bus depot.

I had to walk 0.15 miles along the frontage road before the official start. It was 48F and clear when I started at 1030am

Signage and fencing are still very new. I followed the trail via my Strava app, as there is no trail marker at the start guiding one across this flood plain. Once on the trail, though, it's easy to follow.

I took Hansel and Gretel on this walk. They clearly enjoyed prancing in the dead grass, looking for deer to chase but finding nothing.

I extended the loop by walking from one trail head to another and then looping back to my car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment