Sunday, April 11, 2021

A near perfect day

I had no hikes planned for today. Today's mission was to get Hansel and Gretel recertified in rattlesnake avoidance training at 1030. Susan and her Allie were slated for the same time slot.
This gave me time in the early morning to get Zeke and Sweetie and then Hansel and Gretel walked at sunrise. It was in the upper 50s with a cool breeze. I walked the older dogs first, completing 2.5 miles around the 'hood. Then I switched dogs. Little Sahne snuck out the gate so she got to walk around the block with her parents, prancing right next to her mom with her stubby puppy legs. One block was enough for her. 
When I got back to the house, little Fritzi wanted to walk as well, so I gave him a private walk. The little guy got scared at Sally and Buster's barking at him and he ran back to the house. Sally and Buster are two big GSDs. I had to pick up the scared pup and carry him past Sally and Buster. When Fritzi and I finished our block walk, I took Gretel out for another mile. I thus managed over 6 miles in two hours and all the dogs were walked. I felt good about that.
The snake avoidance training went quickly. The trainer from last year recognized our dogs and took Hansel and Gretel together. Both showed some fear of getting too close to the snake. Allie didn't even want to look at it.
We were done by 1040. I suggested we walk the dogs by the river north of the San Pedro House. We had never taken our dogs down this way. 
We started on the official trail going north, then cut east at the first wash. The flora here was recently burned. Susan said it was from a carelessly tossed cigarette.
It's a mile to the river from where we parked. An elderly couple from NJ were there, but luckily the dogs all behaved. The water was deep, too, which surprised us both. It was even deeper as we continued north for another mike. This was our first time along this section of the river and no one else was here. My phone died shortly thereafter so I can't post more photos.
We both think the river here is fed by springs as it's much deeper here than five miles farther south by the Hereford bridge. The banks also look reenforced by humans. It gets more natural a bit farther north where we turned around. 
It was 84F but it felt cooler under the trees and the diffused sunlight. A breeze even began. We had hiked 3.7 miles by the time we got to our cars at 1233. That gave me just enough time to drive to Tractor Supply Company to meet Steve, as he had left his backpack in the Honda yesterday. 

Steve had come for the 130 vaccine clinic, but the team didn't get in until 2pm and still had to set up. He almost gave up, but was eventually seen by 230. Trace is now up-to-date on his vaccines for another three years.

We stopped at Harbor Freight where I picked up a new luggage rack that was on sale. The cashier was Nikki, the former Animal Control Officer from the Huachuca City animal shelter where I volunteered back in 2013. We were courteous to each other. The past is in the past and Nikki has a hard enough time living with that felon husband of hers.  She recognized me but I didn't recognize her until I saw her name tag; she has regained all the weight she once was so proud of losing.

To cheer Steve up and to thank him for all the help he has given me lately, I treated him to a milk stout at Rookies on the south side of town. Music once again was loud, but our server turned it down for us, which we appreciated.

Thus ended a busy day. I was home by 430, Kevin as usual was already in bed, and I did some more gardening until just before sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment