Saturday, March 27, 2021

Texas Canyon Trail Run

This is an annual run/walk held at the Amerind Museum in Dragoon, AZ, 14 miles east of Benson.  I had never been to the museum and wanted to take the chance doing the run to see the area.  I registered for the walk in mid January.

I didn't sleep well the night before, perhaps out of fear of oversleeping.  I was up at 4am to shower, wrapped my right foot with masking tape to protect the healing wound from last Saturday, then drove off at 4:45am as a near full moon was sinking in the western sky.

Nights have been busy lately, with reports of illegal migrants coming across in large numbers.  I saw a white sedan pulled over at the Circle K gas station off Buffalo Soldier Trail with five illegals on the ground and the car's trunk open.  Further down the road, there were three USBP vehicles with their lights on, parked on Fort Huachuca property.



I was ahead of schedule.  I was slated for the 0700 hour start time.  Instructions told me to show up 30 minutes earlier for packet pick-up.  I arrived just before 0600 hours as volunteers were still setting up the drive-thru registration tent.  I was the first vehicle in the parking lot.


The race/walk was well organized and very rigid as to avoid coronavirus contamination.  We all had to wear a face mask while mingling and had to stay six feet apart. Participants were staggered every 30 seconds.  Instructions said that late arrivees would not be compensated.  We had to bring our own water.


I registered for the 0700 start time because I expected warmer weather and not the 34F we had at sunrise. I didn't want to be running or walking in 70F.  The cold seemed welcoming to turkey vultures who gathered in the ash trees near the start, as well as in trees off in the boulders. It did warm up to 56F by the time I was done with the walk 90 minutes later, but a cool desert wind made the warming temperatures less noticeable.


The entire course was on Amerind property which is normally closed to the public.  I was expecting running around the boulders that Texas Canyon is known for, but instead the course was on dirt roads and exposed.  Views were expansive in all directions, with agave. catclaw, sage, creosote being the common flora around.  I could hear interstate traffic on the north end of the course. The more interesting rock formations were near the Amerind museum and not on the course. I explored them after the official powerwalk and away from any crowd.



The race was open to 500 people.  A total of 442 registered by race day.  Participants could start as late as 11am. I was never near any crowds or large groups of people because of how rigid the start times were spread out.


The race/walk event got busier after 9am. I sat in the Honda after I finished, waiting for 10am so that I could see the museum.  The final quarter mile went past the parking lot, and I saw many more people finishing in groups: families and older people walking together. 


The museum covers all the western tribes of the United States.  Pottery, jewelry and history of the various tribes are on display, but it's only a small part of the historical Felton house. I did not go into the art gallery.

I finally left by noon. I was tired and hungry now and wanted to stop in Benson for lunch before driving home.

***

Global cases 127,591,012

Global deaths 2,804,816

US cases 30,917,090 (+68,307)

US deaths 562,013 (+929)

AZ cases 839,334 (+776)

AZ deaths 16,912 (+14)

CA cases 3,659,164 (+3327)

CA deaths 58,449 (+194)

IN cases 683,076 (+977)

IN deaths 13,011 (+9)

MI cases 723,700 (+5245)

MI deaths 17,047 (+24)

No comments:

Post a Comment