Thursday, May 2, 2019

Hazy walk along the river

We had an unexpected overcast day that cooled the 80F high to a more tolerant 70F.  This made taking the dogs out for their daily walk more enjoyable for everyone, because this morning I skipped the sunrise walk in return for simply chilling and writing reviews.  I'm sure I missed a colorful sunrise.

Susan was busy with her Car Club meeting in the afternoon and couldn't accompany me along the San Pedro river.  I wanted to explore a beaver dam that she said was north of our usual route.  I didn't get started with the walk until almost 3:30pm, but that still gave us two hours of good sunlight.  I parked along what we call the "Killsite," the rather nondescript Lehner Kill site, and walked the perimeter loop south, then east and reached the river at the 1.6-mile mark.  This is what the dogs always look forward to: water and shade.  Even Minnie waddles faster when she smells the river.  Once at the river, the route goes north.

All the dogs were walking well today, even Minnie who is slowly stiffening with arthritis.  Sadie, too, has a lumber in her hind legs and follows next to me.  She no longer runs into the river with the other two (Zeke and Sweetie), and she's now the last one to follow the others in a chase.  My Sadie is now an old dog, and takes each day as it comes.

I came across no one on today's walk.  A maintenance man at the San Pedro B&B waved at me, as he always does, and I reciprocated.  I stayed high along the trail  for as long as possible while the three dogs splashed in the water.  Sadie didn't go into the water until I did, too.

I ended up walking with the dogs in the water for a good mile, walking north until the river takes a sharp left turn.  Large cottonwoods cluster along this bend; tall green grass line the river banks. Here is where the beaver dam is.  It's not noticeable from the surface as there are no piles of logs.  One knows it's there because the river suddenly widens and deepens.  I made this dam my resting spot, sitting down on a rock while the dogs splashed around.  Minnie pulled desperately on protruding roots,  Sadie walked around to drink, Zeke munched on grass, and Sweetie opted to chase after a female mallard.  The mallard flew off quaking, but kept coming back.  She must have been protecting a nest, because this chase repeated at least three times.  Does Sweetie ever tire?

We truly are blessed to have a water source so close to us.  This water is so unlike the rest of southern Arizona. I was at a remote site, not visible from the official trail to the west.  The Cottonwoods and ash trees this year are already suffering from a moth infestation.  One can see the dark moth nests weaved like teardrop sacks on the thinner branches. We haven't had any measurable rain in a few weeks and the river is dropping in elevation.  White salt lines are now appearing on the banks, evidence of fertilizer flowing from Mexico.  We desperately need more rain soon.  May and June can get hot and dry and when strong winds blow up from Sonora, we can get perfect conditions for fast-moving fires.

Today I was entertained by a few red Vermillion flycatchers.  They flitted about along the banks but never came too close.  The bright red plumage of the males sticks out from the dull green.  Hawks and ravens also flew overhead.  Stink bugs were the only animals on the ground.  They'd raise their hind legs when we got too close.

I walked just over five miles today, walking at a slower-than-normal pace.  The sun set behind a haze of clouds but once again I didn't go outside to witness it.

No comments:

Post a Comment