Friday, February 22, 2019

Snow!


All week long meteorologists have been forecasting a strong storm across all of Arizona, part of a massive storm dubbed Quiana that has already caused floodings and landslides in Tennessee and the South.  Fort Huachuca and then the school district closed for the day.  I was thus disappointed when I woke up at 5:15am and saw rain outside instead.  Walking the dogs in blustery rain at sunrise was no fun for me.  The strong southwesterly rain pelted against my face.  My pants quickly got wet (but my top was dry thanks to my Marmot Eclipse rain jacket).  I only lasted 1.3 miles and came home cold and wet.  I told the dogs we'd try again later.  I don't mind hiking in rain, but when the rain hits your face like tiny little needles, it's not fun anymore.

But then late in the morning, around 9am, friends from Sahuarita were announcing strong snow and posted their pictures on Facebook.  I was worried that we had been bypassed in this southern corner of the state.

Two hours later, however, Kevin came into the bedroom where I was trying to warm up, to announce that it had begun snowing.  It was a gentle snow; no winds.

Immediately the local Facebook groups I belong to started posting snow pictures.  Even Susan posted one of Allie in the snowy backyard.  By 1:30pm I couldn't take all the excitement anymore and took the dogs up Hunter Canyon.  By then I was dry again, but this time I put on two leggings under my pants and three layers on top.  I put Sadie in my old down jacket from ten years ago, the one I wore while backpacking the John Muir trail in California.  Sweetie wore a doggie coat that fit her well.  Minnie and Zeke were coatless, but cold doesn't bother them as long as they are moving.

Susan was busy baking and Ellen had to work from home until 3pm, so I and went alone.  I was the only person in the canyon besides two Jeeps.  The road was already imprinted with tire marks, but the hiking trail was still fresh.  It was a winter wonderland.  I couldn't see the peaks, though.  There was no wind, no loud noises besides a few birds flitting about.

I only walked 2.6 miles.  Snow had drifted up to six inches deep in the open areas.  I couldn't always see the trail.  Zeke, Minnie and Sweetie enjoyed frolicking. I only stayed in the lower canyon, briefly going into Stump Canyon before turning around.

I got back to the car shortly after 3pm.  More Jeeps were entering the canyon.  A US Border Patrol truck was now parked facing the highway.  My hands were cold, the dogs were wet and tired, and we all went home and stayed there to warm up.  It continued to gently snow until just before sunset.  I made a tall cup of hot ginger-lemon tea to warm up my hands and bundled up in bed.  It took me several hours for my hands to get warm again.

 

No major snow-related accidents were reported in Arizona.  Quiana's wrath seems to focus on the South  and central Appalachia.

No comments:

Post a Comment