Saturday, August 18, 2018

Getting a dog-friendly car...

Ever since my engine blew a gasket in Amarillo, I've been worried about the truck dying on me.  I knew I had to get a newer, more reliable vehicle very soon.

I went online Tuesday night to look at newer used SUVs in town.  My choices were Ford Escape and Honda CR-V.  I have no qualms of getting another Escape again.  My 2002 held up very well all these years (much better than the POS Dodge Grand Caravan).  I wanted to spend $16,000, the price of a used 2016 Ford Escape.

On Wednesday I went to my bank on Fort Huachuca to withdraw enough money for a down-payment. I went to the Lawley-Honda place in Sierra Vista where Glen, a young car dealer, approached me. I test drove a 2017 Escape, then a 2014 Honda CR-V.  Steve had come by to look over the cars.  Even he said he'd go with the better-engineered Honda.  After more online research that night, I opted for the Honda.  The deciding factor was reading sever reviews stating that the CR-V was comfortable for dogs.  I picked my latest car not on how much cargo space was in the back, but because reviews said it was a dog-friendly car.  Sold!  The car was delivered to the driveway Thursday afternoon.

Saturday morning I had it registered with my car insurance, then drove into town to get an XM radio signal.  I had Sadie, Zeke and Minnie with me. I couldn't get any signal from our house since we are too close to the mountains.  Even driving north for eight miles by the McDonald's wasn't enough.  I didn't get my XM signal until near the huge Walmart plaza in town.


The dogs didn't seem bothered by this new truck and its smells.  They took their normal spots in the truck:  Zeke up front with me, Minnie behind me so she can look out the rear passenger windows,  and Sadie in the rear behind the latch.

The car rides smoothly and quietly.  I now have AC again, brakes that stop on a dime, and a truck that doesn't smell of moldy dog.

I will still drive the Escape to the local trailheads and transfer station.  No one would ever think of stealing that thing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment