Friday, June 23, 2017

Day 20: Elmendorf AFB, Flattop, Moose's Tooth pizzaria in Anchorage

I am not sure of where I was parked on base.  I thought it was the guest lodge but there were airmen walking nearby.  It was 7am before I even made it to the gym to shower.  A poster advertising a Gay Pride even on the base surprised me, as being openly gay while I was in the army was reason enough to be discharged.  I'm glad the military is now more humane toward more diverse people.

The sky still looked foggy from the peaks, so once again I was easily distracted when I saw the Eagle Glen fitness park near the base entrance off Park Avenue.  I stopped there to walk the 3.2 fitness trail behind another dog walker.  We were the only ones using this seasonal park as the park headquarters  looked permanently closed and the area didn't look maintained.  Signs warning not to feed the fox were posted, as well as reminding walkers to report all bear sightings.  I did see a red fox pop its head out of the woods, but then quickly disappeared back into the hemlock-spruce forest.

The fitness park must be used primarily for winter sports.  Trails are either mowed across the grassy field or covered in crushed granite for the walkers.  I let the dogs despite orders by the base commander to keep dogs leashed at all times.  The dogs were so well behaved.  The most they did was run through the fields of dandilion seedheads.  Zeke chased after a squirrel who ran up a tree. That's the most unruly behavior they displayed. I racked up 4.8 miles when I was done.  A stop at the BX for some souvernirs took 1.5 hours but by then I was ready to tackle Flattop peak, despite the nearby peaks being shrouded in fog.

I didn't even get started with the hike until after 3pm.  Where did the time go?

More later


No comments:

Post a Comment