Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Walk up Carr Canyon Road to the middle falls


This 4.2-mile walk up the road to the middle falls is Nina's weekly event.  She's still in Maryland but seven of us met at the usual parking area at 9am to walk this together.  Robert, Rick, Doug, Steve, Polly, Kim and I plus dogs Trace and Zeke were this week's group.  We had a snow-free road the entire length.

We started at 9:02am and quickly broke into ability groups, with Polly and I up front.   Zeke was off leash by then and stayed by my side. I hadn't planned on being up front, but that's how it turned out and Polly and I kept a good pace for the entire walk.  Even when my boot lace came undone, I continued uphill and didn't tie my lace until we got to the falls.  The falls were running nicely after the snow melt. Zeke had a drink but didn't seem too interested in staying in the cool canyon.

I could feel my sweat cooling me too much as we waited for everyone to make it to the falls.  The men weren't too far behind. We perhaps chatted for ten minutes and then walked down together.  No one else came up but one lone man; there was no one at the lower falls, either.  School is back in session for the spring semester and that could explain the quiet road.

We all gathered at Culver's afterwards for a cheap meal.  Everyone on the walk showed up.  Robert talked about rattlesnakes again (he helps survey a local snake den population) and the conversation was non-political.  Today I even had a portion of the daily custard flavor: Cappuccino Almond Fudge and it was quite good!

We sat around for perhaps and hour before departing.  The sky had become overcast and it felt cool again. Four hours later and back home, I went out a second time with all four dogs for another three-mile loop around Oak Estates.  I logged in seven miles today.  So far this year I'm doing well, and even have decided to watch my weight more.  I weighed in at 140.1 pounds.  That's still ten pounds more than two years ago but six pounds less than nine months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment