Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mount Wrightson (Santa Ritas, AZ)

Holly and I had been talking about hiking up Mount Wrightson for a while, but with her time here in Arizona running out and her move to Alaska just three weeks away, the only open day to hike this 9453' tall mountain was Saturday, one of the hottest days for a hike. We expected it to be warm because the ten-day forecast predicted highs in the triple digits for Tucson, but rain in the evening was also forecasted for both Saturday and Sunday. We were a group of seven.
Holly, Ellen, Kent and his girlfriend Stephany and I met at Fry's at 6am. I brought Zeke and Sadie, with Sadie being the unplanned second dog who pushed herself out the door after Zeke was already in the Ford Escape. Since she's a strong hiker and gets along with other people, I didn't mind. What I didn't do was double up on the water I brought along.

We arrived at the trailhead at 7:32am, just two minutes later than planned. Adam and Phil, two more hikers that Ellen invited, also came along. I had hiked with Adam before last winter up Miller and Carr Peak, and he remembered Sadie from that time, but Zeke was new and of course loved on everyone. Phil took a liking to Zeke right away and the feelings seemed mutual. Having tuna in his backpack was perhaps one thing that helped! People just love Zeke because he's such a friendly, cuddly dog and I'm now seeing that. Sadie is aloof in comparison, and goes along on hikes to be my protector, and she takes her duties seriously.

The parking lot wasn't crowded at all and we all were able to park next to one another. On any given day, this parking lot gets packed quickly on weekends. Perhaps the temperature was going to be hotter than forecasted? I had heard 106F for Tucson, which would put it at the high 80s at the summit.

We started the hike at 7:43am going up the four-mile Super Trail. This was a shaded, pleasant grade up to Josephine Saddle, where in 1958 three boy scouts froze to death in a freak November snowstorm. A sign is still there in their memory. There was some water in the lower creek at this point, which I led the dogs to, but that was it. Bug Springs just before the saddle had some water left, but it was filled with bugs and green algae. Zeke still jumped in it to keep his paws cool. There was evidence of some water falling here because the grass was partially green, but no drainages were flowing, no massive displays of wildflowers that would normally cover the fields in August after weeks of heavy rains.
It was warm, but doable, but the dogs had to stop for plenty of water. The higher we got, the more humid it felt, too, which I find odd, and this humidity hit its zenith as we switchbacked the mile up to Old Baldy saddle. I was now in the rear. I noted to Stephany that there has been new growth coming back since the 2005 Florida fire; many of the pines are now 3-5 feet tall.

Here a young woman with a Great Pyreneese lunged toward Sadie. She was slowly going uphill herself. Big dogs like that, however friendly, concern me as Sadie is normally reactive to other big and small dogs. This dog ignored Zeke but went toward her, and I had to pull hard on the leash to keep her away. Sadie didn't attack back, something she normally does, so perhaps Sadie felt targeted. The owner could not hold the dog back. That short but intense incident got my heart racing a bit and I had to calm down before resuming the climb. That dog then came to the summit as we were going back down, but she moved off to the side and held her dog closely. There was no incident there. I wasn't upset with the owner, she did as best as she could, and I could tell she was upset with her dog as well. I know Sadie has shown aggression quite unexpectedly toward other dogs as well, so I can be empathetic.
The 6.67 miles to the peak took us 3.5 hours. We were the only ones there. Normally we share the peak with 10-15 others and the peak resembles a conference center. Not this time. There was also no breeze, no nagging bugs. There was not a sign of any storms coming when we got to the top. There were no clouds to diffuse the sunlight, no shade to relax under. Everyone sat at one end of the peak, I sat away from them at the old tower foundation, to keep the dogs from begging, but there was no shade there as well. I couldn't relax. I also noticed I was down to just one quart of water. I had been giving whatever they needed on the way up. I was concerned. Zeke's fur felt hot to the touch but his spirits were up, although on the way down I gave the dogs short shade breaks whenever they plopped down. Zeke's normally high-energy, but for him to be plopping down and panting is a sure sign he's suffering from heat exhaustion.

We could see a distant fire in the southwest sending a long smoke plume in the sky.

It was 11:46am when we began the descent. I stayed in the rear on the way down, watching both dogs. Now that the sun was higher up, there were fewer shaded areas. The exposed parts were now hot and the hot ground was bothering the dogs, who'd run up to the next shaded spot and wait for me there. Holly and Stephany were very sympathetic and gave me some of their extra water. I, who normally brings too much water, was now suffering from thirst as well! When we all regrouped at Josephine saddle on the descent, it registered 88F on my back's little thermometer.
My stomach was cramping, I felt a headache coming, my toes were getting jammed in my boots from the steep grade...I was miserable. Not even beer sounded good; I just wanted water. We all got back to the cars around 2pm to a parking lot was was no more empty than before, although we were surprised to see people taking off on hikes so late in the afternoon. Most people here were picnicking in the shade.

Adam and Phil were talking about meeting somewhere in Vail or Green Valley for ice cream, which normally I'd be for, but I was dehydrated now and needed water. Ellen gave me her Cranberry-Grapefruit Sobu to refresh with (a great taste combination I'd never had before) and I think she saw my fatigue and declined her friends' invitation. We all departed separately in the cars we came in. Ellen and I stopped at the Shell station in Sonoita for more iced tea and ice cream. Now the storm clouds were visible from the south, and it looked like they were going to hit Mt Wrightson as well.

Kevin was back from his Boston trip when we got home at 5pm. Sadie and Zeke attacked the water bucket but seemed fine otherwise. The drive in the back of the Escape with no working AC was probably not very comfortable for them, but they survived with no lasting damage. Both got a big chunk of steak for their efforts, while Sammy and Sweetie got a much smaller edge cut. Minnie never came out for her treat, staying instead in the bedroom panting. She's been suffering from the summer heat since coming back from the road trip and has shown no interest in going for walks, although she still loves to play fetch.

It stormed again at 6pm, cooling the air again nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment