Monday, March 21, 2016

A week off

When I got home Friday afternoon from my Prescott trip, all the dogs were excited to see me, but I was too tired to walk them. I always feel badly for Minnie, who NEEDS exercise. I don't want her to suffer like Sara did in her senior years, with being over the ideal weight and panting while walking. Minnie is only five plus years old, the same age when Sara started showing arthritic pain and laborous breathing.

I chatted with Kevin, opened more Amazon boxes (a near-daily ritual), and early on Saturday I went back to Tucson for the annual Festival of Books March 12-13. It was a great weekend listening to some of my favorite writers, like Timothy Egan, Terry Tempest Williams and Scott Simon. I didn't walk any of the dogs until Monday, and Minnie was beside herself finally getting some exercise.

I did the power walk on Wednesday with Zeke, Jay and Regina, a new gal in town, but didn't feel energized. And I also didn't hike over this past weekend. My back was hurting too much and I spent more time in bed. All I did was walk the dogs both days down at The Oaks for three miles, and take them to the vaccine clinic on Saturday at the local Tractor Supply Company in town for their booster rattlesnake shots. That's when I learned that Sadie had lost four pounds and weighed in at a mere 61 pounds. Was that a mistake? Weight lost during the four days we were hiking in Prescott? Her ribs aren't showing through; she just looks her usual thin self. But alas, it's back to extra feedings for Sadie so that she can get back up to 65 pounds. (I'd rather she weigh 75 pounds, but she's never been that heavy before, even when she was taking the epilepsy medication four years ago.) I've been feeding her a can of Wellness chicken and rice over a cup of Wellness kibble at night now, by herself on the back patio.

Yesterday we heard coyotes howl just after sunset during our hike. Minnie stopped briefly when the howls came, but then continued chasing Zeke. Even Sammy came with us and did his one-mile lap, then rested in the truck while we did the other two miles. I will bring him if he shows an interest in coming, but I never force him. The near full moon was shining brightly as we finished the last mile. It should be a good week for the full moon from Tuesday through Thursday this week. There's even a hint of warm air at night now, signaling the coming of those hot May nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment