Friday, December 11, 2015

A great week for hikes with the dogs

We lucked out with summer-like temperatures during the day (and the notorious cold at night) this past week, but I have been fighting fatigue at night and have kept some strange hours.

Monday and Tuesday night I couldn't fall asleep. I'd get up at 1:30am, 2:30am and finally by 3am I'd be up for the day. This made my energy level during the mornings especially lethargic. I had to push myself to go outside and walk.

Tuesday morning I managed to hike with Zeke up Carr Canyon road with Nina's group, but my pace felt slower than normal. I had started late and caught up to Nina and Claire before they reached the middle falls at the two-mile mark, but once I got to the top where we normally sit and chat, I wanted to walk back down, get back home, and nap! Brown smoke meandered across the northern horizon from a prescribed burn on Fort Huachuca, but that was the one new thing of notice. Claire and I policed the area of trash (the view is popular with booze-drinking ignorami) and we both walked down with full bags of bottles, cans and plastics. I chatted with a young gal named Farah, an army wife new to the area.

When we all gathered back at our cars by the bridge and the lower falls, I told the gang that I was tired and needed to nap. Normally I join them for lunch somewhere but not this time. And nap I did, until 3pm! I hope this does not become a habit because day naps throw off my sleep cycle.

On Wednesday I rested my sore left ankle and didn't walk much until 6pm, when I met Emily and her fast-walking meetup group for the 5-mile fitness trail around town. This is a course I'd love to do every week for speed. We did the course in 1:32 hours. I'd like to get down to 1:20 hours. I took Zeke along again, who always gets praise for being such a sweet dog. While Emily's three dogs always bark at Zeke initially, he never barks back and prefers not to fight. Sadie, Minnie and Sweetie have taught him well! After a few barky exchanges from Emily's pack, all four dogs were able to walk the course on leash without further intervention. We had no moon, so the dark stretches on this path were darker than normal. We were only four women, but four dogs gave us extra protection.

And then on Thursday was the Bisbee walk. I had Holly walk us the Bisbee 1000 course and of course that meant walking all those crumbly stairs! There were far more stairs on her walk than on the walk I reconned on Monday. Bisbee is Holly's old home, and she quickly took over the hike, showing us her old house on a hillside, introduced us to a Bisbee artist who painted many of the murals in town, and told us some history of some of the older buildings.


No comments:

Post a Comment