Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Texas bound for Thanksgiving

Gasoline prices dropped ten cents overnight, from $2.08 to $1.98 at our local Canyon General store in town. What perfect timing!

Minnie and I are about to head out to Wichita Falls, TX to see Eric for Thanksgiving. He requested that I bring Minnie and I gladly oblige as having a dog makes the solo trip less boring. I had to work Monday and Tuesday and had been pre-packing the van both days. I want to make sure that nothing that Eric needs stays behind. He only took one set of clothes when he left this house for his USAF MBT in September.

I took all four dogs out for a quick lap around the Oaks Estates tonight, under a near full moon. Even Sammy did fine, as I walked at his pace while the three hiking dogs pranced on ahead, surely making the 1.34-mile road more like two miles for them. The lone house on the road was dark; its owners surely gone for the upcoming holiday. It was after sun set, but the moon lighted up the road nicely. The dogs won't get walked until I return on Sunday.

Hope the weather stays OK. The southern Plains are going to get hit hard with a storm on Thanksgiving, with a cold front and freezing rain over Friday.

I saw Willie again this afternoon when I got back from work. He was in our neighbor's yard. When I approached the yard, he meowed at me, and even followed me to our yard where he nibbled on that cat chow I've been leaving for him. He's welcome to make our yard his home. After he ate, he ran back across the street.

I better head out. Texas is a time zone ahead of us.

PS: As I waved Minnie over to come with me (which always precedes going outside to the van for a hike), Zeke bolted out the door as well. Nothing gets past that dog as he observes my every move. I figured "Why not?" Having Zeke with me will give Sammy a break from Zeke's shenanigans and he'll have five peaceful days. It's been a few years since Zeke was on a road trip with me. So now I have two dogs instead of one dog, but packed only enough canned food for one dog. I guess that means more shared beef patties with my canine companions on this trip. That's not really asking too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment