Monday, February 16, 2015

The Presidential long weekend

We had a very pleasant three-day weekend, although I didn't do any major hikes. While we had temperatures in the mid 60s, people east in Chicagoland and Boston were getting snowed in again.

On Saturday the 14th I took the pack down to the Charleston Bridge in the afternoon, where, I discovered, all of Cochise County was relaxing with their dogs. I had to take my dogs to a more secluded area near debris piles so that they could romp undisturbed. Minnie dived after her sticks while the other two stayed on the muddy shore and barked or egged her on. Water was much more normal this time.

The cottonwoods are starting to bloom, giving the canopies a light green hue. Raptors are still very prolific this winter. Now, if only the tall, dead grass could be replaced with green grass!

Sunday I did a short two-mile hike off Juniper Flats and the dirt road, the same one I explored the week before, only this time taking a different abandoned mining road down into the nameless canyon. That path ended at the creek where I sat for a while before hiking back uphill. The faint mule trail still was quite obvious in sections, as it cut a ridge line around the hills. Where was the mine, though?

MORE LATER

1 comment:

  1. Your dogs are lucky to always get to go on such fun hikes. Betsy

    ReplyDelete