Saturday, December 6, 2014

Heading up to Phoenix for the day

Kevin and I are leaving for Phoenix for the day. Eric will be in charge of all the dogs and cats in our absence. He's taken quite a liking to Minnie, who adores Eric and even enjoys sleeping in his room. She's the only dog who interacts with him. So it's no surprise that he asked me two nights ago if he could have her when he moves out on his own after college.

"NO!" replied Kevin when I told him what Eric asked me. All the animals are here to stay with me until the end of their days. Yet I have no doubt Eric would take care of Minnie. If he doesn't move too far away, I could still visit and spend time with her.

Pache managed to dart outside Wednesday morning. While I saw him in the front yard pounching on something near the juniper shrubs as I drove into our small drive-way, he had disappeared by the time I went outside to call him. Bobby came back after two nights outside, too, just this morning. Pache followed home an hour after Bobby. What's up with the cats spending the colder days outside? Could it be they enjoy feasting on the desert rats in our area? I found a third dead rat on our roof when I went to photograph the sun rise this morning. That rat surely was the victim of our resident barn owl that lives in our palm tree.
We got a nice rain on Thursday, remnants of the California storm that finally came down south enough to saturate southern California. I hope to hike up Carr Peak next week on a day off so that I can appreciate the added moisture from that rain. We didn't get bombarded with a lot of rain, just enough to give all the plants a nice soaking.
My only walk with the dogs this week was Wednesday afternoon, before the forecasted storm. I took all four dogs with me to Ash Canyon to walk up the road past the closure sign. Sammy enjoys the drive as he likes to stick his head out the window. So does Zeke. No one was out target shooting, which is always nice for me as we don't get spooked. Fall colors are still on, too. But that one-mile walk was too much for Sammy and he has been limping for a few days. He wants to be part of the pack and stay with the pack, so I slow down to stay with him, but walking is now getting to be too much for the old boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment