Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Lutz Canyon

Lutz Canyon is a little-used canyon in the eastern Huachuca mountains that took a heavy toll in last year's fire and monsoon. The lower section is badly damaged. When I hiked this trail several months ago I lost the trail and had to retrace my steps back to the trailhead. My goal to find the trail to the crest of the range still lingers.

On Sunday I decided to get some exercise and took all five dogs with me to walk the lower trail, opting for 30 minutes out, and 30 minutes back. We started at 2:33pm. It turned out to be an 80-minute walk up the lower trail, but high enough to reach the snow line from our first storm this past weekend. All five dogs came along, and even Lady Sara managed to hold her own. Many times she insists on coming along but then refuses to get out of the truck. Not this time. She quite enjoyed romping in the snow.
I would have gone longer but I had a semester final to write for my students and didn't want to be up all night editing it, as I'm prone to do. Christmas break begins this Friday and I definitely plan on hiking everyday when weather permits.

The only sound of civilization were a few stray shots from nearby Ash Canyon and the targetshooters. Had I started earlier I would have gone higher, but the waning sun quickly cooled off the temperature and I was getting chilled. I could clearly see the iced trees near the peak.
I didn't bring a backpack nor had emergency gear with me (this was a quick stroll, afterall!)

I definitely plan on doing Lutz Canyon all the way to Miller Peak over Cmas break. I may ask for some companionship.

No comments:

Post a Comment