Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hunter Canyon

Since I didn't hike up Carr Peak and sat around all day, I opted to take four dogs with me around Hunter canyon during the late afternoon when the sun was behind the mountains. I took Zeke, Minnie, Sara and Sammy and all four were excited to go back into the mountains; they had been so anxiously awaiting a return to the trails. Even Minnie jumped into the truck this time! (She had been too scared to hop in with the rest of the pack before).
I left Sadie at home to rest with Kevin, although she, too, is now finally running and fetching her ball again these last three days. I hadn't taken the dogs here since before Zeke came down with parvo; it was nice to be back. Sammy was so excited he kept blocking my view of the road as I was driving. He likes to ride shotgun and lean forward toward the windshield as he pants hot air toward me. The dogs certainly remembered this playground of theirs. Both Sara and Minnie hopped out with excitement as well.
I noticed right away how badly parts of the main road into the canyon has become. The rains this past month have really done a job here, with parts of the road covered in flashflood boulders. Both sides of the road are now badly rutted. A sedan with low clearance would need to be careful here, and a speeding truck may get caught in the ruts at night, especially one evading the USBP. Even the campsite looked overwhelmed with fresh run-off.
It was very peaceful for most of my walk. There were no other shooters blasting away, or other cars parked along the road. One lone USBP drove out of the canyon as we were heading in, and a car of two men drove up toward the end to target shoot. No one bothered us so all four dogs got to enjoy an offleash run around the loop.
And all four remembered the route! I walked the loop with them as they sniffed the grasses and scat along the way. I stopped to photograph some of the seeding grasses and the dogs never strayed far. I was mostly concerned with Minnie darting off, but she, too, stayed close by.
Storm clouds briefly billowed over the peaks but rain didn't fall until much later. Grasses glistened in the waning sun and I enjoyed the serenity. I need to make Hunter Canyon my daily walk again, but with my fulltime job this semester and now college courses starting back up again, I may not have much time. One burned oak has now become a new target for the shooters; someone painted a bullseye ring on the charred tree in green paint.
I finished the two-mile walk at the old spring, where Sara lay in the mud and Zeke and Minnie cooled off their paws in the wet stuff. Only Sammy stayed dry and clean. I had four panting dogs in the rear of the truck all the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment