Monday, July 23, 2012

The eastern Huachucas

We have been getting much-needed rain these past two weeks, and this past week alone brought some storms across the southern part of the state. Sweeping waters in Carr Canyon on Thursday resulted in a swift water rescue of two young adults. We needed this rain as my shrubs were dying from drought. Everything has recovered for now, from the photinias to the oleanders. Grass has started to sprout that had been dormant for so long. I may have to cut the grass soon. I can see the green lush grass from my yard as I look toward the mountains. So on both Saturday and Sunday I took the dogs to the lower canyons. On Saturday I walked around Lower Carr Canyon, on Sunday I walked around Lower Ash Canyon. It's almost strange to see the desert so green. Ten months of the year the grass is a brown, crisp dead. Not now! All kinds of flowers are blooming now, all flowers that have been late this year to bloom because of the powerful fire from last summer. I didn't get to Carr Canyon until around 3pm, after a storm had blown over. This was great photography, as the sky was a dark grey and the temperatures were cool. TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment