Saturday, April 21, 2012

5K Mutt March

This 5K Mutt March, hosted by the Army's Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) twice a year in Sierra Vista's Veteran's Memorial Park, is a fun event for all local dogs and their owners to get together, have some exercise, and meet other like-minded people. Several local businesses also provide supplies or services as well. Yaqui Hay and Feed from Huachuca City, Sit Means Sit Dog Training, Furbabies Organic Dog treats and several veterinary offices all helped out at the Mutt March. Alicia and I took our pups to this event this morning and at 8am walked the course.

The event didn't seem as busy as last year's event held in the fall. Nor where there as many events as last year, like the painting event. I overheard that the event would talk place, but never saw paper or paints set up. Perhaps the sponsor bailed out of this?

We walked the course as the last participants to start. That allowed us more treats at the end, for both us and the dogs. The organic treats provided by Furbabies were popular with all four dogs (I took a handful home for them to try). There were also bagels for us humans and plenty of water. For a mere $10 per walker, I can't imagine MWR making much money on this event. The t-shirts we got must have cost a pretty penny to print.

Luna and Zeke had fun. Zeke initially barked at all the dogs when I first arrived, scaring me into thinking he was going to bark at all of them all day long. But he quickly realized he was having fun sniffing butts, playing with other dogs, and watching a few do some amazing tricks in the end. Like Sam from "Sit Means Sit" told me today, Zeke just needs to get out more.

After the march there were several events, non of which I participated in: Best Smoocher, best tail wagger, best trick, best costume. A toy poodle I recognized from the last Mutt March again showed up with dyed fur, namely pink. Teca, Alicia's little chihuahua, didn't "kiss" her mom as much as she normally does; perhaps the dog was scared of all the attention. Other dogs performed as badly as well. And here I was getting my face into everyone's face, just to get a decent photo.

Temperatures quickly got warm. After almost three hours we departed, going separate ways. There were many other events going on in town today, but I was too tired to visit PetSmart, Ramsey Feed for another adoption event, or even the Earth Day events in town.

And as it turned out, I discovered once I was home that my 50mm f/1.8 lens had broken!

No comments:

Post a Comment