Saturday, August 6, 2011

French Joe Canyon...again!

I woke up to an overcast sky. That made me happy as that meant it wouldn't be as hot as last week on the hillsides. But once on the trail with Rod and John S, the humidity was quite bad and the bugs around the eyes and mouth even worse. We were in deep sweat by the time we made it to the 6670' peak overlooking the highway.

I wore my water sandals and it was tough maneurvering across the loose rocks going uphill. The shindaggers weren't much fun, either. John had some trouble going uphill and I made sure we stopped plenty of times for him to catch up, but whenever we'd sit down to rest the bugs would attack us.

"One point six seven!" said Rick as we made the first ridge. That was all? I was hoping to have gone at least two miles by then. Hawks were screeching overhead, one was harrassed by a smaller bird.

"Two point eight six!" Rod said as we approached the saddle. That seemed short, too. And when we finally made it back to the cars at 2:20pm his GPS read 4.21 miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment