Tuesday, July 12, 2011

North Fork of Big Pine Creek

Mary and I had talked about getting up early for a long hike but when we got up she complained of a "GI" problem and opted to take a Zero Day. That took the pressure off me to get ready, so I lingered at the camp site, chatted with Mari at the neigboring site about working for charter schools, and eating a hearty oatmeal breakfast. I decided to hike up the North Fork of Big Pine Creek trail right at our campsite--no driving 100 miles to a trailhead!--and taking it easy. Little did I know I'd do a 14-mile loop trail under ideal conditions.

We made it to the trailhead at 10:09am where we shared the busy trail with many rock climbers, day hikers and backpackers wanting to spend a few hours at the higher peaks. This trail meandered along the rushing creek at a gentle grade, passing groves of Jeffrey pines, then lodgepole pines, aspens and other trees. I didn't need to carry water for Sadie as there was plenty along this shaded trail.

We made it to the loop intersection at 1:30pm, where I opted to hike counterclockwise to Black Lake first, a mile uphill. I could see First and Second Lake to my south, lakes I would pass up again on the return loop later in the day.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment