Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Smoke advisory

As predicted, we were given a smoke advisory from the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality through Saturday. Another wildfire started up in Mexico and the wind's blowing the smoke our way. Things weren't so bad this morning on my way to work, but it got bad after I got done taking the dogs for a quick jaunt up Hunter Canyon at 4pm, where the smoky haze was at first minimal, but then strong by the time I got home an hour later. We managed a three-mile powerhike uphill. The dogs had their fun since they weren't walked yesterday but now we are advised to keep doors and windows shut. I have my air purifier on.

These many close fires have Kevin and I talking about packing emergency bags in case we have to evacuate due to fire or smoke. I will have my important stuff packed away in marked boxes in the garage should something happen in my absence. This has been an active fire season so far this year. Our side of the mountains is due a major blaze.

I officially started training for California on Monday, trying to at least get 4-5 miles a day regardless of workload, but today, due to the haze, it was a mere three miles.
I got a long email from Mary today, explaining in some detail her vision of our backpack this July. Sounds like she wants me to carry all the heavy gear but I will get a better picture once we meet 1 July. Food will be the big issue. I had a hard enough time hauling my own stuff, I can't imagine having to carry two peoples' food.

One mission stopper for her would be the death of her first cousin. She found out yesterday that he has stage four pancreatic cancer. If he slips away around our time of departure, she may cancel and chose to be by his side in Iowa, something I don't blame her for opting to do as I would do the same. They were best friends and cousins while living in Iowa, and her presence at his death would give her closure. Mary devoted a lot of time when her own father was slipping away two years ago, and this is typical of her.

And should Mary have to bow out,I'll still go to California because I've been planning for this trip all year. But I wouldn't go to the Sierras alone. I'll just try to get ahold of Karen and spend time in Monterey, hike Big Sur and visit old stomping grounds again. This is a trip I've been planning to do anyway.

That is, unless gasoline prices shoot through the roof...

No comments:

Post a Comment