Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Gila Wilderness

Today was my last day at the high school. There were lots of hugs, handshakes and genuine thank-yous from everyone. Tonight the seniors are graduating but I'm so behind on getting ready for the weekend that I've opted to stay home and pack for our Memorial Day backpacking trip in the Gila Wilderness.

The Gila Wilderness is perhaps New Mexico's biggest secret. Geographically it's just an eastern extension of Arizona's White Mountains, but it's more wild and not as touristified. We will remain at an elevation averaging 5000' along the Gila River. I am taking all my gear that I'm taking in July to California minus some of the arctic stuff and dry goods.

Silver City's Blues Festival is also this weekend. If we get back in time from the wildneress to visit the festival Saturday night, we will do so.

Sadie's coming along and carrying her own pack of food. Kevin weighed the bag: It's ten pounds on her skinny frame. I hope she doesn't mind. It's filled with expensive dry dog food and some nutritious "Happy Hips" chicken jerky dog treats. It's the only treats I feed my dogs and the only treats all three go crazy over.
Even Kevin likes watching the dogs get excited over the mere rustling of the bag's contents in the kitchen.

Kevin packed and inventoried his stuff last weekend. I'm doing mine, as usual, at the last minute. Weather will be seasonal with no rain expected. Highs will be in the mid-to-upper 80s and lows will be in the 50s.

No comments:

Post a Comment