Thursday, June 22, 2017

Day 19 Soldatna to Anchorage

Today the intent is to drive back toward Anchorage and make it to the air base there for a shower.  Let's see if that happens.  I easily get sidetracked by stuff off the beaten path.

I was slow leaving Soldatna.  I had my coffee at McDs and then walked along the creek trail.  The boardwalk is metal and the dogs weren't liking it, so I took them back to the van to finish this walk.  There were other older people out walking the trail.

I took it slowly today, stopping at historical places while driving east.  A mother moose and her two calves caused a bit of a pile-up near town.

My one surprise was stopping in Hope and walking the cliffs above the mudflats.  We only walked near the rock, as the mud can suck you down.  There was an eagle pair near the old town.  I talked to an older volunteer musuem volunteer from New York who was eager to tell me the history of the place.  I parked at an undeveloped campsite for a few hours before continuing toward Anchorage.

Stopped to get some real glacier water off a spring coming out of the rock.  It's a popular stop for locals to harvest drinking water.

Made it to Anchorage by 9pm, parked off 4th street and tried the 49th State Brew pub before going to Elmendorf AFB for the night.

Tomorrow: Flattop Mountain in the morning.

(This is an abridged journal; too tired to write more)

No comments:

Post a Comment