Saturday, November 4, 2017

Full moon

November's full moon came early this month.  Just like October's moon, it was shrouded in heavy cloud and thus not dramatic, but I did enjoy walking the dogs under the moonlight in the late evenings.

The official full moon was on the 3rd, a Friday.  Thursday I drove to Chip's house to give the cats some company, enjoying having several felines nudge up to me and purr.  The moon was rising over the dry Tombstone hills on my way home.  I got home early enough to give the dogs a two-mile loop walk which ended with us finishing in the dark with just the moon light outlining the path.

Friday I started the walk at 5:20pm under heavy clouds.  When the moon rose at 5:40pm it quickly hid behind a dark wall of clouds and stayed that way for an hour before lighting up the sky.

Saturday, yesterday, we had such dramatic storm clouds that walking was enjoyable.  The first cold morning of the season forced me into my sweatpants which I wore all day.  Kevin's been sick with the stomach flu that's been going around, so it was just me and the dogs all day, and all they looked forward to was this walk.  I took them out for their five-mile lollipop walk (named that because of the route: http://www.mapmyhike.com/workout/2560107364 ) and got to witness the colors change across the sky.  The moon yesterday was already down to 99.1%.   l love this kind of stormy weather, although the clouds never left the peaks and hiking up Carr would have been miserable in that windy, wet fog.

All four dogs seemed to enjoy the exercise.  Even Sadie is back in good spirits, but she's noticeably slowing down and by my side when the others want to chase after imaginary spirits in the grass.  I haven't seen any other dog walkers either, lately; just the solitary car driving by.  Even the coyotes have been quiet.  The sun sets now at 5:29pm and by 5:50pm it's past dusk.  I wouldn't be out in the dark like this without the dogs protecting me.

There was just enough sky for the sun to peak through at sunset, lighting up the Dragoon Mountains over Tombstone and adding a sprinkle of color across the western horizon.  While we may not have the dramatic leaf colors notorious in New England, we do get some beautiful sunsets this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment