Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Day 31 Fort Nelson to just north of Grande Cache

The town was quiet when I got up.  Traffic through town was steady all night long, but never loud nor disruptive.  I stopped at the Tim Horton's for an XL cup of coffee and drove on south on the Alcan.  I recognized this scenery, only now it all was in reverse.  A large burn area south of Fort Nelson looked recent, as the entire spruce forest was burned but a green forest floor was already growing.  Another large burn area was near Buckinghorse.  I could see the distant northern Rockies to the far west.  Skies were starting to clear as I continued on south.  It even warmed up to the upper 60s.

The landscape flattened out as I drove the miles, from hilly, wooded terrain to more bucolic agricultural fields.  I still had to stop for road construction north of Fort St John.  The oil trucks, large RVs and constant stop-and-go traffic was starting to grate on me.

I made it to Fort St John by 3pm.  I stopped at a Safeway to get the dogs raw meat.  They ate that quickly.  The Dodge mechanic in town was able to do a quick code diagnosis and determine I had a low-voltage battery, but he was too busy with other appointments and recommended I try the Canadian Tire shop in town.  That mechanic apologetically said the same thing and was relieved when I asked if I could proceed on to Dawson Creek. He smiled with relief when l asked that, taking any pressure off of him.

The car repair shop at the Canadian Tire in Dawson Creek took my van in right away.  I walked the dogs 1.5 miles around the industrial park (a large grassy field was our walking field), surrounded by several large hotels, and when I returned 30 minutes later my van was waiting.  The new  battery with terminal cost me $CND 215.00 but now the Check Engine light is off and I can drive on south to Jasper, AB in the morning.    At least the weather looks good for hiking in Jasper and Banff!

After a few hours in town for a meal and a shower, I headed east on AB2 and then 40 toward Grande Cache.  I didn't quite make it to town as it was farther than I could make it safely.  I pulled over at a rest area right off the road and listened to oil trucks, logging trucks and other large tractor trailers roar past me.  It wasn't a place I'd stop for the night normally but I was simply too tired.The road has many oil processing stations hidden by trees.  This is the first actual dark night I've had since coming through Dawson Creek the first time.  I had gotten used to the late night sun but tonight it actually got too dark to see the fore

I ended up driving 448 miles today.




No comments:

Post a Comment